Tuesday, 2 October 2012

We Read to know that we are not alone...

Books I loved as a kid:
These are the books that I read over and over and loved so much it hurt –
& still love.
& will definitely be reading to my kids!

©The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery. A gift from my Aunt when I was eight years old, it was her favourite book as a child. I will admit I was a teenager before I could actually get into it and properly understand the philosophy behind it. It is a charming story about a Pilot who crash lands in the Sahara where he meets a lonely little Prince from an unknown planet. It is also filled with quirky illustrations. I believe everyone should read this book, it may just break your heart a little bit. It currently sits on my nightstand and I simply cherish it.

 ©The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. The first book that I ever stayed up til the wee hours of the morning reading! I bought this on a trip to Melbourne and I spent the whole holiday reading it! I love it because it’s so well written and it flows just perfectly and even more because it is pure fantasy and with each page it becomes more and more magical. If I could live in a book (other than Harry Potter and Pride & Prejudice!!) it would be this book!

 ©Little Red Riding Hood A Peepshow book illustrated by Linda Griffith. Everyone knows the story of Little Red Riding Hood! This was my Mum’s book when she was a child, that’s probably why I love it so much. Peepshow books are so cute with the most amazing drawings, basically a pop up book that you open and tie the front and back covers together so it becomes like a little show! It even has a string at the top so you can hang it like a mobile!

 ©Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. My copy of this is a large Children’s picture book. I think reading this when I was a child was far too early for me to really appreciate it. Only when I actually read the original classic novel is when I truly fell in love with the March family. It’s very old fashioned but it’s nowhere near the perfect fairy tale, which is why I love it so much. And, I will never forgive Amy for burning Jo’s book. EVER.

 ©The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. I was eleven when I first read this. It made me smile, it made me cry and it absolutely terrified me. As this is a Diary and not a book I don’t think it should be ‘reviewed’ as such. You can’t go in to read this thinking it’s just an ordinary novel and even I often forgot that it was written by a thirteen year old. She was funny, she was sad, she was intelligent and most of all she was brave. As a child reading about another child in those circumstances it’s heartbreaking and devastating, and if there ever was a book that changed my life this would definitely be it.

 Let’s not forget…
©Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister.
©Harry Potter by JK Rowling (whole collection obvs!!)
©A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
©Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
©The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
©The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter.
©The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss.
 
What books did you love as a child? Xx

3 comments:

  1. another great post! i just may steal your idea yet again. i still adore "little women" and many books by louisa may alcott. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pop up book looks gorgeous! have you seen the clothbound classics range by penguin? I blogged about them recently because the cover designs are so beautiful. You should check them out :)

    http://rrecommends.blogspot.co.uk/

    ps: say hello to your newest follower! x) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! I seriously LOVE the clothbound classics by Penguin, they are absolutely delightful! I want them all!!

      Delete

Your comments make my heart happy!