Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Cringefest...

I mentioned earlier that I had two movie dates yesterday, here's my kind of awkward recount of both.
I love going to the Movies, it's one of the few things I truly enjoy. I'm not an expert but I know what I like and don't. 

If you are a regular reader of my blog then you know that my Gran and I have movie dates fairly often. 
This week we saw I Give it a Year  - a rom-com without the rom! It had some eye candy in the form of Simon Baker [YUM] and a few laugh out loud moments but mostly it was in-your-face and somewhat crude, cue  a threesome scene and full shot of Rafe Spall's penis [GASP!] yes, you read it right. Had I known about these scenes I definitely would not have gone with my 79-year-old Grandmother!!! I come from a pretty conservative family so when the first F word was thrown out and my Gran gasped in horror I could tell it was going to get very uncomfortable. We did giggle about the inappropriate scenes on the drive home! Minnie Driver is pretty funny and I have a huge crush on Rafe Spall (before the scene with his thing!) It's quirky and original and is full of awkward humour but it's no Love Actually, it does however offer something different for those sick of the tired old romantic comedy formula! Enter at your own risk.

In the evening a girlfriend and I went to see Oz the Great and Powerful.
Nothing awkward about this other than we were sent to the wrong cinema! The theatre gave us the wrong cinema number and we caught 5 minutes of a Maori movie before we realised it wasn't an advert and quickly sauntered out red-faced! Yikes, how embarrassing.
Anyway, I had heard mixed reviews about Oz the Great and Powerful so I did lower my expectations. I liked it, it didn't wow me but I thought it was cute and bright. I thought that Zac Braff as Finley the nice Flying Monkey was wonderful and stole the show and I really loved China Girl! I wasn't convinced by James Franco as Oz though, to me it felt like most of the Actors were fake acting on purpose, so over the top and forced, if that makes sense? All in all I thought it was a nice movie with some very pretty scenes that ran just a tad too long. And I must mention  that Michelle Williams is as stunning as ever!

Have you seen either of these movies? Let me know your thoughts!!

& Sorry for boring you, I just love talking about movies!! Xx 


6 comments:

  1. I was wondering if this movie would be good, I'll maybe wait for it to come out on dvd and go see something I'm more excited. I wasn't sure on it. I'm not a big fan of re-makes or prequels. But, I will give it a go sometime. I hope you have a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think when you've watched it, I hope I'm not swaying your decision to see it! xx

      Delete
  2. I haven't even heard of the first movie you mentioned, but I do love me some Simon Baker. I've never sat through a raunchy movie with my Mom-Mom, but I did once sit next to my father watching my mom perform in The Vagina Monologues. I feel myself getting red and embarassed now just thinking of that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh yikes, that would be so embarrassing!!

      Delete
  3. that wasn't boring at all! i found what you wrote interesting. :) i adore michelle williams. i have ever since she was on the old tv show "dawson's creek."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Daswons! Michelle Williams hasn't aged at all, so beautiful! xx

      Delete

Your comments make my heart happy!