Monday, 25 March 2013

It's all in the genes...

(Please excuse my wrinkly hands!!)

I believe that you should never pay for something that you can do yourself. That includes a French Manicure - all you really need is a steady hand. Even though mine looks messy, I love the satisfaction of doing my own nails! 

My Nanny (my Mum's Mother) had really beautiful hands and nails! She was always so well put together, her hair was always done, her eyebrows always perfectly drawn on and her stiletto heels and handbag always matched her beautifully crafted clothes. I'll forever remember how carefully she took the time to plan every detail of her outfit, right down to her matching nails. 

My strongest memory of her is when I was about 6-years-old on Summer holidays, she took me to her nail salon, it was a foreign and somewhat magical world to me, watching her put her fingers in a strong scented solution filled bowl and then in a strange box thing that blew out hot air [WOW!]
It was also the first time I had ever heard of or seen a French Manicure. I watched in awe as only the tips of her nails were painted, a somewhat crazy and wonderful thing to be done.
I will never forget that she was wearing a leopard print blouse and she had a matching scarf on her perfectly styled hair, a` la Sophia Loren in Houseboat (this is one of my favourite movies, especially because I always thought my Nanny looked just like Sophia Loren! I always think of her when I watch it!)

As a barefoot child (I always walk around without shoes, even at parties!) she would always frown at me and say "There's no point in wearing clothes if you aren't going to wear shoes!" I will never ever forget this. Ever. Even though I still like to go barefoot .....occasionally! 

My Nanny passed away in 2002. I love having these memories of her, and I love that I can share them with you, I've never shared them with anyone.

People always tell me that I have her dainty hands and nails, thank God for good genes I suppose.

Xx

9 comments:

  1. Love this!!! Sounds like your Nanny and my Mom-Mom are probably BFF's up in heaven, getting their hair and nails did! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the exact same thing when I was reading your post about your Mom-Mom!! xx

      Delete
  2. I have dainty hands, but it's really important to moisturise them and take care. I see some hands of young people and they look so old, strange x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my hands don't age before the rest of me! I moisturise them every day!! xx

      Delete
  3. You really have beautiful hands! I'm jealous haha :D
    And I love these memories of your nanny ;)

    xx Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, it's probably because I hardly do any work ha ha!!

      Delete
  4. this might be my fave post of yours. i really like it! hooray for memories of your nanny. :) it sounds like she was so stylish and elegant.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my heart happy!